Sunday, April 11, 2010

What I found at Wondercon

Hello peeples!

I went to Wondercon this year! FUN! Where I met Travis Hanson! FUNFUN!

And Mr. Travis Hanson was wonderful enough to create for me a sketch of the Mighty Goose -- free of charge.

For those of you who don't know, Travis Hanson is the Writer/Artist behind a delightful comic called The Bean. I guess it's an adaptation of a novel he co-wrote? Anyway, it's all about a young boy who was raised by ogres, who goes out for 'shrooms one day and doesn't come back.

I picked up the first issue (half out of a feeling of obligation)for 5.50 (75 cents OVER cover price, what the fuck Trav?!) and I must say, I actually really dug it.

At 40 B/W pages, no ads, it's really quite a steal. The art is solid at least, really quite good if you're into cartoon-ish fantasy realms (which I am!), and this first issue (did I mention it's 40 full pages of story) sets up what may prove to be a fairly epic story.

Would I be offending anyone if I call it "Lite-'Bone'"? 'Cause I mean that in a good way. I love Bone and this is definitely in that vane. Vein... Vain?

My only complaint (seriously, the only one): The dialogue comes off a bit stilted(?). You ever read a book and feel like the author is putting words in the characters mouths. Like ALWAYS! No, I mean when the dialogue sounds less like conversation and more like story notes.

Whatever.. You try setting up the next great fantasy epic in only 40 pages (40 whole pages!) without coming off as forced.

Anyway...

Bottomline: 8.5/10, A solid read, I definitely want more.

PS. Find Mr. Hanson at BeanLeafPress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment